Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Bonnie Stern Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada "Heartsmart" recipe. She adds "... when beets are baked, they retain more flavor and colour than they do when they are boiled, and skins will slip off easily while they are still warm."
- Leave skins, root ends and a bit of the stems on the beets.
- (Do NOT wash them, or they will simply steam-clean in the packet.) Wrap beets in a single-layer of foil- make sure beets are all about the same size, or wrap same-size beets in separate packages and bake the larger ones a longer time.
- Bake in pre-heated 400*F/200*C oven for 1 to 2 hours, or until beets are very tender- test by piercing through foil with knife.
- Open foil packages.
- Let beets cool just until they can be handled, then PUT ON RUBBER GLOVES (thank you Kate for the reminder) and trim beets by slipping off their skins.
- Slice beets or cut into wedges.
- TO MAKE DRESSING:In a small bowl whisk together mustard, garlic, horseradish, vinegar and pepper.
- Add salt to taste.
- Drizzle dressing over sliced beets.
- Sprinkle with chives.
- Serve at room temperature.
- PS: As Kate from Katoomba recommended, have any leftovers the next day with goat's cheese ... or in my case a nice bit of Bleu crumbled over. Delicious!