2 hrs 4 mins
Gerry sans Sanddunes's Note:
A Bonnie Stern Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada "Heartsmart" recipe. She adds "... when beets are baked, they retain more flavor and colour than they do when they are boiled, and skins will slip off easily while they are still warm."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Leave skins, root ends and a bit of the stems on the beets.
- 2(Do NOT wash them, or they will simply steam-clean in the packet.) Wrap beets in a single-layer of foil- make sure beets are all about the same size, or wrap same-size beets in separate packages and bake the larger ones a longer time.
- 3Bake in pre-heated 400*F/200*C oven for 1 to 2 hours, or until beets are very tender- test by piercing through foil with knife.
- 4Open foil packages.
- 5Let beets cool just until they can be handled, then PUT ON RUBBER GLOVES (thank you Kate for the reminder) and trim beets by slipping off their skins.
- 6Slice beets or cut into wedges.
- 7TO MAKE DRESSING:In a small bowl whisk together mustard, garlic, horseradish, vinegar and pepper.
- 8Add salt to taste.
- 9Drizzle dressing over sliced beets.
- 10Sprinkle with chives.
- 11Serve at room temperature.
- 12PS: As Kate from Katoomba recommended, have any leftovers the next day with goat's cheese ... or in my case a nice bit of Bleu crumbled over. Delicious!
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Beets with Mustard Horseradish Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.7
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 153.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar