Recipe by mary winecoff
The beets become very sweet when baked in this way. They take a long time but can be baked with sweet potatoes or baked potatoes.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
Combine one of my favorite vegetables with my favorite condiment and I'm a happy lass. The baking method worked well in during the winter, the extra heat generated was welcome. My one comment was that by the time the roots were fully tender, the edge flush to the baking sheet was a little overcooked. My suggestion is to rotate the beets during cooking time. Thanks Mary.
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F
- Place each beet on a square of aluminum foil and wrap tightly.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bake until the beets are tender when pierced with a wooden toothpick, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Poke holes in foil to let steam escape and carefully unwrap.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins.
- Slice the beets and place them in a bowl.
- Add the vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss to combine, adding a little more vinegar if needed.
- Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.