Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
It's nice to roast the beets for a change! The balsamic vinegar and honey give a slightly sweet & sour taste. Very complimentary to the beet flavor.
- 8 large beets, peeled and quartered
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme (or 1/2 teas dried thyme)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (or less)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Pre heat oven to 375F degrees.
- Place beets& shallots in a 9x13" oven proof dish.
- In a bowl whisk together oil, wine, thyme, pepper flakes, salt& pepper.
- Pour over the beets and shallots, toss until evenly coated.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven.
- Combine honey and vinegar and drizzle over the beets, toss veggies.
- Bake uncovered for another 15 minutes until the beets are glazed and tender.
- Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Sprinkle with the chopped green onion.
If you ever thought beets were boring you need to try this dish. I sustituted quartered onions and skipped the red pepper. The great flavor of baked beets goes well with the other ingredients.
How decadent these beets turned out to be. So amazingly full of flavor. I followed the recipe verbadum and am not sorry - they truly were the star of the meal. Thanks Bergy.