Recipe by sugarpea
Whenever I need cooked beets, I don't boil them, I bake them. They're less messy, easier to handle and far tastier. The moisture is inside the beets, not in the boiling water. I've included 2 ways to use them.
Top Review by Geema
Excellent way to make beets, one of our favorite fall vegetables. I liked not having to wrap the beets in foil, but put them in a covered casserole because we avoid cooking with foil. Great idea. In my ignorance,I have always washed my beets before baking them, not knowing that the water would make them steam not bake. Makes sense when you so plainly state it. The beets came out so tender and sweet that I just used a little bit of butter and just a pinch of sugar and salt. Couldn't be more delicious. Thanks Sugarpea for a new twist on baking beets.
- 3 -4 medium unpeeled unwashed whole beets
Dressed Baked Beets
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Baked Beets in Cream
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Baked Beets: Preheat oven to 400°.
- Trim roots and stems to 1/2", do not cut beets further!
- ;do not wash beets!
- ,if there is dirt that bothers you, wipe it off with a paper towel; moisture will cause the beets to steam and that is not what you want.
- Place beets in a casserole, cover with the lid and seal the entire casserole tightly with foil; bake at 400° for 60-90 minutes.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, remove the roots and skins; if you're using the beets whole leave the tails on, otherwise remove them; the skin can be easily slipped off with your fingers.
- Beets are ready to be used in any recipe calling for cooked beets or try one of the two listed here.
- Dressed Baked Beets: Put the skinned beets, whole, diced or sliced in a saucepan or skillet; add the butter, sugar, salt and pepper; heat and serve.
- Baked Beets in Cream: Thinly slice skinned baked beets; heat in saucepan or skillet with cream, add salt and pepper; just before serving add lemon juice.