1/6 Photos of Baked Beets
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Whenever I need cooked beets, I don't boil them, I bake them. They're less messy, easier to handle and far tastier. The moisture is inside the beets, not in the boiling water. I've included 2 ways to use them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 medium unpeeled unwashed whole beets
Dressed Baked Beets
Baked Beets in Cream
- 1Baked Beets: Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Trim roots and stems to 1/2", do not cut beets further!
- 3;do not wash beets!
- 4,if there is dirt that bothers you, wipe it off with a paper towel; moisture will cause the beets to steam and that is not what you want.
- 5Place beets in a casserole, cover with the lid and seal the entire casserole tightly with foil; bake at 400° for 60-90 minutes.
- 6When beets are cool enough to handle, remove the roots and skins; if you're using the beets whole leave the tails on, otherwise remove them; the skin can be easily slipped off with your fingers.
- 7Beets are ready to be used in any recipe calling for cooked beets or try one of the two listed here.
- 8Dressed Baked Beets: Put the skinned beets, whole, diced or sliced in a saucepan or skillet; add the butter, sugar, salt and pepper; heat and serve.
- 9Baked Beets in Cream: Thinly slice skinned baked beets; heat in saucepan or skillet with cream, add salt and pepper; just before serving add lemon juice.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Beets
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.0
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 42.4 mg
- Sodium 96.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 1.3 g