Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Be careful when preparing fresh raw beetroots for cooking - if the skin is damaged the colour will 'bleed' during baking. For the same reason, do not prod them with a fork to see if they are done, but instead test whether the skin slides off easily.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/ 350°F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Wash the beetroots but do not trim.
- Wrap them in greased foil or place in a greased ovenproof dish.
- Cover tightly and bake for 2½-3 hours.
- When the beetroots are cooked the skin will slide off easily.
- Serve with a slice cut off the top, but not skinned, topped with the butter or sour cream and seasoned to taste.
A little drama goes a long way! This is a wonderful way to prepare beets. I just rubbed butter all over the beets, wraped them up in tinfoil, and baked away! The skins slip right off and the beets are juicy and bright. I put each one (I got the big ones) in a little berry bowl of its own on a bed of shredded sauteed cabbage, cut them from the top down so they fell open like a flower, added a dab of sour cream to the centers, and the kids devoured them! This was the first time I had ever used fresh beets, now that I've found how simple it is they will be used more often, whenever they are fresh in my grocery. Yum! Simple, straightforward, fresh and so georgeous... thanks for the tips, BCG!
My FAVORITE way to bake beets. I think these are delicious without butter or sour cream.