1/3 Photos of Baked Beetroot and Red Onion
Another find on the A.B.C. I was looking for something different to do with my home grown beetroot. This is something not only different but very tasty, and makes a great side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dice onion into 1 x 1 cm chunks.
- 2Cut the leafy tops off the beetroot, leaving about 2-3 inches (to stop the colour from running.) Place beetroot in a saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring the water to the boil and then boil until cooked. This should take about 20 minutes, a knife should slide easily into them when beetroot are cooked. This is a good time to make the dressing!
- 3Drain the hot water out when beetroot is ready and refill the saucepan with cold water. This make peeling beetroot a lot easier. Peel the beetroot, remove the ends, and cut into quarters.
- 4Place the cut beetroot into a baking dish, crumble the onion over the top, and pour the dressing over the beetroot and onion, making sure that everything is well coated.
- 5Bake in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes or until the onion cooked.
- 6To make dressing~.
- 7Get a glass or shaker and put in the balsamic, olive oil and brown sugar and shake or stir until well combined.
- 8Do a taste test - if it tastes fine set aside. (Dressing should be a good mix of sweet and tart - if too tart add a little more olive oil, and if too oily add more balsamic.).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Beetroot and Red Onion
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.3
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 61.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 1.7 g