Recipe by Tisme
Another find on the A.B.C. I was looking for something different to do with my home grown beetroot. This is something not only different but very tasty, and makes a great side dish.
Top Review by Lalaloula
Yum, this is a very tasty way of serving beetroot. I loved the marinade with the onion and beetroot, it brought out all the yummy sweet and earthy flavours.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this recipe with us, Tisme!
Made and reviewed for Think Pink October 2012.
- 6 medium beetroots
- 1 large red onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion into 1 x 1 cm chunks.
- Cut the leafy tops off the beetroot, leaving about 2-3 inches (to stop the colour from running.) Place beetroot in a saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring the water to the boil and then boil until cooked. This should take about 20 minutes, a knife should slide easily into them when beetroot are cooked. This is a good time to make the dressing!
- Drain the hot water out when beetroot is ready and refill the saucepan with cold water. This make peeling beetroot a lot easier. Peel the beetroot, remove the ends, and cut into quarters.
- Place the cut beetroot into a baking dish, crumble the onion over the top, and pour the dressing over the beetroot and onion, making sure that everything is well coated.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 15 minutes or until the onion cooked.
- To make dressing~.
- Get a glass or shaker and put in the balsamic, olive oil and brown sugar and shake or stir until well combined.
- Do a taste test - if it tastes fine set aside. (Dressing should be a good mix of sweet and tart - if too tart add a little more olive oil, and if too oily add more balsamic.).