Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This unusual salad is a great side dish for those who love beets. I like the leftovers stuffed into a kaiser with some roast beef; makes for a great sandwich.
- 2 lbs raw beets
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (, substitute fresh parsley if you don't like cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon liquid honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Wash beets and trim, but do NOT peel.
- Wrap beets in foil"packages", keeping similar-sized beets together and keeping all packages a single layer.
- Place packages directly on oven rack and bake for 1 hour; beets should be tender when poked with a knife.
- Remove from oven, open packages, and let beets cool until you can touch them.
- Once cool, peel and dice; place diced beets in large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients to make dressing; taste and add salt if you wish.
- Toss diced beets with dressing and serve; may be refrigerated but bring back to room temperature before serving.
Baking beets is the best way to bring out the taste of this vegetable. Once you bake them you will nevr go back to boiling
Lennie, you've created another fan of baked beets! Really brings out the sweetness of the beet. A nice refreshing salad to go along with the heavier side dishes! Thanks, Lennie! M&Mers
I must agree with Susan - baking produces more tender beets than boiling. I followed the recipe exactly, used parsley (because I had no cilantro) & didn't think that salt was necessary. The tartness of the lemon was a nice contrast to the sweetness of the beets. Thanx Lennie!