Recipe by Lennie
This unusual salad is a great side dish for those who love beets. I like the leftovers stuffed into a kaiser with some roast beef; makes for a great sandwich.
- 2 lbs raw beets
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (, substitute fresh parsley if you don't like cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon liquid honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Wash beets and trim, but do NOT peel.
- Wrap beets in foil"packages", keeping similar-sized beets together and keeping all packages a single layer.
- Place packages directly on oven rack and bake for 1 hour; beets should be tender when poked with a knife.
- Remove from oven, open packages, and let beets cool until you can touch them.
- Once cool, peel and dice; place diced beets in large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients to make dressing; taste and add salt if you wish.
- Toss diced beets with dressing and serve; may be refrigerated but bring back to room temperature before serving.