Recipe by Nyteglori
To cook the beets you can boil them for 20-40 minutes in salted water (or use whatever method you prefer) - to make 4 cups you will need about 2 lbs
Top Review by Ppaperdoll
I made this for Newest 'zaar Tag, and I found the directions very straightforward and easy to follow. I ended up using more that the 1/3 cup breadcrumbs called for, though I'm not sure how much it was cup-wise - but a whole bread slice's worth, because I like lots of breadcrumbs on my casseroles, etc. None of the flavours are overpowering, and everything blends quite well. I was expecting it to be too sweet, or maybe too spicy from the horseradish, but neither was the case. Having said that, I don't think I would make this again simply because I think you could get all the flavours by just serving beets with horseradish sauce on the side, cutting out all the work. It would be a very nice accompaniment to a roast beef dinner though. Thanks Nyteglori, for this interesting recipe!
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons horseradish
- 4 cups cooked beets
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend butter and cornstarch adding water gradually and cook until mixture starts to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar, salt, horseradish and beets.
- Pour into greased baking dish and top with dry bread crumbs and dot with butter.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until crumbs are browned.