Recipe by nemokitty
This comes from Sunset's Light Ways with Beef, Lamb and Pork cookbook.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This made tender and flavorful stew; and it was super easy too! Made as written except left out the thyme (ran out). Served this with mashed potatoes and cheesy bread. Was a wonderful Sunday dinner. Made for Newest Zaar tag.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, boneless and cubed
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 4 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a shallow 3 to 4 quart casserole, combine beef and onions.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 450 degree Fahrenheit oven, stirring occasionally, until beef and onions are browned (40 to 45 minutes).
- Remove from oven; sprinkle with flour and stir gently to coat.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a 1-1/2 quart pan, combine beef broth, red wine vinegar, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Add to beef mixture, stirring to loosen any browned bits.
- Distribute carrots over beef.
- Cover tightly and bake until beef is very tender when pierced (1-1/2 to 2 hours).
- Season with salt.