Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 8 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe I got from the local paper but made some adjustments. I wanted to keep track of it, went to Ukraine this summer and wanted to bring it with as a sample of "American Food" I like the fact there are very few ingredients. My Ukrainian friends commented how "tasty" the beans were.
- Rinse and sort Beans. Put in a large Pot.
- Add 8 cups of cold water and let stand overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Drain and rinse beans and pour back in large pot or bean pot.
- Add rest of ingredients.
- Generously cover with water.
- If baking in a bean pot, bake for 3-4 hours at 300 degrees.
- If cooking on top of stove, simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until beans are tender.
- Add more water if necessary during cooking time.
- Add more salt, pepper and brown sugar if necessary, to taste.