Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a wonderful recipe for a get together or a night at home with the family.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄3 lb smoked bacon
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 dash salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (96 ounce) can pork and beans
- In large frying pan cook beef in its own fat; breaking it up and stirring to cook evenly. Add bell pepper and onion. Saute until beef is brown and vegetables are limp.
- Put aside 4 strips of bacon. Cut remaining bacon into 2 inch strips and add to beef mixture.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, vinegar, mustard, garlic, thyme, brown sugar, liquid smoke, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spoon pork and beans into greases 1 ½ quart baking dish. Top with meat mixture. Place full strips of bacon over top of beef mixture. Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes.