Top Review by Steve1
I made this dish as just a baked bean side dish. Omitted the meat & biscuit topping. I used 1/2 the tomato sauce called for. I added 1/2 cup of small diced fresh ginger. It sounds like a lot but I made the beans!! Small dice added texture and lots of fresh ginger flavor. You must try it with fresh ginger! Next time I may drain some of the liquid that the beans come in, as it was saucier than I prefer.
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) canbusch's best baked beans, undrained
- 2 -4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce or 2 -4 tablespoons stir-fry sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk or 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 cups baking mix
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In an ovenproof skillet (cast iron works great), brown the ground turkey with the onions, garlic and green pepper until meat is no longer pink and veggies are soft. Drain any grease.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for topping, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine the topping ingredients and spread over the meat and bean mixture in the skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until topping is golden brown.