Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I like this as it has a light flavour without being too salty or too sweet. When I made it, I used small red beans. Next time, I plan on doubling this because as is, it was simply gone too fast!
- 1 lb navy beans or 1 lb kidney beans or 1 lb red beans or 1 lb black beans or 1 lb pinto beans
- 1 small onion, chopped fine (optional)
- 7 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (and one teaspoon if you like this sweeter)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Precook beans in boiling water for 2 minutes. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Then simmer for 1 hour until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Mix beans with onion if using. Place beans in crock pot.
- Mix 1 1/2 cup reserved liquid, brown sugar, molasses, salt and mustard. Pour over beans and dot with butter. Cover and cook for 6-12 hours on low setting.
- Meat could be added as the beans are put in the crockpot, salt pork cut into chunks, or bacon as your personal preferences desire.
- The crockpot can be used on high to half cooking time, but the longer slower cooking time gives the beans a truly deep and rich flavour.
Yum! Great comfort food! I used a combination of pinto, red kidney and small white beans! I added a 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder. Made for TOTM tag.
So good! So buttery! My 18 month old daughter is kind of picky and she devours these beans.
Thank you Emily! I'm embarrassed to say that I bought canned Baked beans my whole life, but I recently got a crockpot and thought i would try to make them from scratch....Your recipe is easy, but so delicious. I used dry pinto beans and followed your recipe exactly. I did add some chopped up salt port which made them ever better. Thank you for providing us with this simple but yummy recipe! It definately was a winner on the 4th of July!