Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
From "The Great Minnesota hot dish" cookbook. Serve with tossed salad along with warm crusty bread.
- nonstick cooking spray or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken; stir and cook until browned.
- Set aside.
- Add rice, onions, bell pepper and garlic in same saucepan; stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl; mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 50 minutes or until rice is cooked.
I felt that this was too bland; it needed some herbs or spices to punch it up a little. I ate the leftovers heated in the microwave with salsa spread over the top to kick up the flavor.