Recipe by Pebble
The word Sousbone is an Afrikaans word, and it literly means gravy beans. I am posting this recipe because I am seeing all the baked bean ones and this is the most yummy beans recipe ever. It is a very old South African one. I hope you all enjoy it.
- 1 (250 g) packetdried brown speckled sugar beans
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown spirit vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight in about 4 cups of water.
- Cook the beans till just soft. (This does take some time)Keep the beans just covered with liquid all the time.
- You can rinse the beans once during cooking. I don't normally because I rinse in boiling water before I put them on to cook.
- Mix the cornstarch with the vinegar and add to the beans together with sugar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook a few minutes more to thicken the gravy.
- They may be eaten hot or cold.