Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My husband thinks that summer and this recipe go hand in hand. It is wonderful with grilled dinners. I pulled this out of a magazine a long time ago and have since lost the original copy. I have sometimes used Bush's Original Baked Beans in lieu of Campbells Pork and Beans (what I had on hand). When I substitute with Bush's baked beans I have reduced brown sugar a bit. When I have had large crowds I have added an additional can of baked beans/pork & beans and it was wonderful. :) I am posting recipe as written- for safe keeping :)
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (21 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 1 -16 ounce red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, drained
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large skilled cook the bacon until crisp. Transfer the bacon to paper towels and drain, then crumble the bacon. Remove the bacon drippings from the skillet: reserve 2 to 3 Tbs, depending upon taste.
- Return the reserved drippings to the skillet. Cook and stir the onion and green sweet pepper in the drippings until tender. Add the brown sugar, white vinegar and water. Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until the mixture thickens a bit, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the pork and beans, lima beans, red kidney beans, butter beans and crumbled bacon into the brown sugar -vinegar mixture in the skillet. Pour bean mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake the beans, covered in the 375°F oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven: stir the beans and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes more , stirring twice.