Recipe by Sage
These are my baked beans I have been making for years.I just discovered how perfect they are baked in a clay pot. These are great to make and freeze in individual containers.
Top Review by Pi-E
Great tasting baked beans! Awesome recipe. I did modify it a bit. Instead of navy beans, I used Ananzi beans and only 2 cups dried. I replaced the brown sugar with molasses. I'm always searching for new recipes to make in my clay pot. This recipe hit high marks for clay pot baking. I also upped the temp initially to 425 degrees then after 30 minutes, I lowered it to 300 degrees for 3 hours. The house smelled wonderful. We ate it all week and didn't have any to freeze. Clay pot cooking is the way to go especially roasted whole chicken. Now I have a great bean recipe. Its like having a mini-oven in your oven, no mess, no fuss. Its faster than a crock pot and the food comes out great, never had a failed recipe using a clay pot. But remember you must always soak the clay pot in water for 15 minutes. Thanks for sharing Sage!
- 2 lbs navy beans (white, dry)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans in cold water overnight. Drain. Cover with fresh cold water. Heat to boiling point then simmer 30 minutes. Drain reserving 1½ Cups cooking water.
- In medium bowl mix ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, salt, pepper and cooking water and add another 1/2 cup water.
- In a clay pot,cast iron or crockery pot, layer 1/3 bacon slices,onions, beans and ketchup mixture.
- Repeat ending with beans. Cover with remaining bacon slices. Put lid on pot and bake in a 250* oven for about 8 hours.
- With clay cooker you put the pot in a cold oven; heat to 400*. After 30 minutes reduce heat to 300*.Cook for 3 hours; reduce heat to 250* for another 1/2 hour.
- Serve with a boiled potatoes, ham, fresh bread and ketchup,.