Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Saturday supper in this neck of the woods meant baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw and rolls for many years. A tradition that is almost gone.
- 2 cups dried navy beans (or yelloweye, Jacob's Cattle, whatever)
- 2 small onions
- 1⁄2 lb bacon or 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- Cover beans w/ water and soak overnight.
- Drain and add all ingredients to covered beanpot/roaster or pressure cooker.
- Cover beans with warm water.
- Oven Method :.
- Place bean in a large pan and cover w/ boiling water. Parboil on medium stovetop heat 20-25 minutes. Drain.
- Place bean in a roaster/bean pot and bake the beans covered at 325F for 5+ hours then uncovered for 1-2.
- Occasionally add more hot/boiling water as needed.
- Pressure Cooker method: When you add water to cooker, make sure it is under half full.
- Following your pressure cooker instructions, cook for 45 min at 5 lbs pressure or gauge gently rocking.
- Transfer beans into a bean pot or small roasting pan and bake uncovered until beans are browned and tender (1-2 hrs at 325F degrees).
- Add more hot boiling water as needed.
i just bought this preasure cooker, your's is my first try.....thanks greg
When you add water while these are cooking, be sure it is very hot or the beans will have a tendency to burst.
Very good bean recipe. Simple and yummy. I substituted diced lean ham for the bacon (trying to cut back on fat) and after parboiling for about 30 minutes, I drained the beans and placed them and the rest of the ingredients in my crockpot and added enough boiling water to barely cover them. I cooked them for about 6 hours on high, then transferred them to the 325 F oven for about an hour to brown and reduce the liquid a bit. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Barb.