Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
Have a huge gathering and need a side dish? Then this is one to make ! My sister gave me this recipe and she has used it on more than one occassion.
- 100 cups thinly sliced onions
- 25 cups olive oil
- 200 tomatoes
- 200 crushed garlic cloves
- 200 sprigs parsley
- 150 cups tomato juice, from tomatoes
- 100 teaspoons thyme
- 150 lbs beans
- 12 cups chopped basil
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slowly cook onion in oil till they are soft and translucent. Blend in tomatoes, garlic, and juice from tomatoes,parsley and thyme. Simmer for 30 minutes till tender. Add beans;toss. cover and simmer for 8 minutes till tender. Rapidly boil for off any remaining liquid. Add remaining liquid.
- add parsley, salt and pepper. Toss and serve. Note: this can be scaled down to serve 6-8; just divide all ingredients by 50.