Recipe by justcallmetoni
Dress up those canned baked beans with a few simple ingredients you probably have on hand already. Quick and easy. From "The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites".
Top Review by teresas
We really enjoyed the sweet taste of this dish. It reminded DH of a dish his Dad use to make while he was growing up. You can really taste the pineapple. Very easy to prepare. I served it with some ribs and potato salad. Yummy dinner! Thanks Toni for posting.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 (1 lb) cans vegetarian baked beans
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and then cook onion and green pepper, stirring frequently, until tender.
- If necessary, add a bit of water or broth so it doesn't stick.
- Stir in beans and drained pineapple.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into reserve pineapple juice.
- Add to saucepan.
- Add spices.
- Cook, stirring, until it boils.
- Cook and stir 1 minuter longer.