These are the best baked beans I've ever tried, bar none. The beans need to soak for at least 12 hours before being used in the recipe.
- 680.38 g dried navy beans, rinsed and soaked overnight in water to cover
- 453.59 g smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 118.29 ml maple syrup
- 118.29 ml molasses
- 14.79 ml ground pepper
- 44.37 ml Dijon mustard
- 236.59 ml ketchup
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 44.37 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml Tabasco sauce
- 118.29 ml orange juice
- 118.29 ml pineapple juice
- 118.29 ml black coffee
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- Rinse soaked beans and place in large pan with enough fresh water to cover.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for one hour or until tender.
- While beans cook, sauté bacon in a skillet until lightly browned, remove and set aside, then lightly sauté the chopped onions in the remaining bacon fat until translucent. Remove onions and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine maple syrup, molasses, pepper, mustard, ketchup, tomato paste, brown sugar, Tabasco, the orange juice, the pineapple juice, the coffee and the stock. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Combine beans, sauce, onions and bacon in a crock pot. There should be enough liquid to cover the beans generously. If not, add some more stock, or combination of juices.
- Cook at low for 12 hours, at high for 8.
- Taste for seasoning near the end of the cooking time and add salt if needed.