Recipe by Dorie's Lori
My own invention -- an unusual combination! But, the sweetness of the beans, the sharpness of the cheddar and the pungency of the pickles work Really well together.
Top Review by sallyskiis
This was really good! I tried dipping it in a little ketchup, and that came out good, as well. I would not recommend slicing it in half, though, as this causes everything to fall apart very quickly. Make sure the beans are very smashed, too. I'll definitely make this again!
- 2 slices deli rye bread (or pumpernickle)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetarian baked beans
- 1 kosher dill pickle, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the bread, as desired.
- Smash the beans down onto one slice, top with the pickle and cheese, cover and enjoy!
- MUST use a seriously sharp cheese!
- I use Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans, but the flavor of any sort of sweet baked beans should work with the sharp cheddar and pickles.
- I eat this with cold or warm beans, but always solid cheese.