Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
My own invention -- an unusual combination! But, the sweetness of the beans, the sharpness of the cheddar and the pungency of the pickles work Really well together.
- 2 slices deli rye bread (or pumpernickle)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetarian baked beans
- 1 kosher dill pickle, sliced
- Toast the bread, as desired.
- Smash the beans down onto one slice, top with the pickle and cheese, cover and enjoy!
- MUST use a seriously sharp cheese!
- I use Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans, but the flavor of any sort of sweet baked beans should work with the sharp cheddar and pickles.
- I eat this with cold or warm beans, but always solid cheese.
This was really good! I tried dipping it in a little ketchup, and that came out good, as well. I would not recommend slicing it in half, though, as this causes everything to fall apart very quickly. Make sure the beans are very smashed, too. I'll definitely make this again!
This was fun to try. Tasted good! We're gonna have fun playing with this recipe! Update: We made these again today and decided to add a little to it. So, we buttered one side on each slice of bread, added some sliced vegetarian hot dogs to the beans and grilled the sandwich on our Foreman grill. Yum! A little messy but a lot of delicious!!!
I used to make these as a kid,but haven't had one for years. I had it for lunch yesterday and even DH loved it. Thanks for posting.