Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This is from a 1978 cookbook Come and Get It - A Natural Foods Cookbook For Children. It has some good recipes in it.
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef, cooked until brown
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup baking mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beans in water in a covered pan until soft, about 2 hours on medium.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Drain water and save about 1 cup of water.
- Add remaining ingredients plus the reserved bean liquid.
- Simmer, covered, for about 3 hours in the oven at 350°F.
- For Biscuit Topping: Mix the ingredients together and drop by spoonfuls on top of casserole, 20 minutes before serving time.
- Turn up the oven to 425°F and bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.