Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Brit Spice by Manju Malhi my favourite Indian/British cook. This recipe turns an ordinary snack into something really tasty and satisfying, and makes you want more curry for dinner!!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 green chili
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 14 ounces vegetarian baked beans
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan.
- put in the chopped onion and fry for 1 minute.
- add seeded and chopped chilli and cook for a couple of mins stirring continuously until onion begins to turn golden brown.
- add spices and fry for another minute.
- add beans reduce heat and cook for 3 minutes.
- taste and season if necessary.
- serve hot with toast or chapatis, naan or pita bread.
- stir in a knob of butter at end of cooking if creamier taste is required.
We enjoyed this, however, I think I would have enjoyed it more, had I not burnt the onions! Interesting mix of flavors. Will definitely make again...and this time, I'll keep an eye on the onions! Thanks linds!
Been looking for something to do with the tin of heinz in the cupboard and gave this a go. It was not half bad. Very mild a couldn't taste the spices as is but the onions were a nice addition. Next time I'll double the spices (bar the green chilli) or half the beans. All in all a good quick snack