Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love baked beans and I love hot Italian sausage, so I put the two together. The result is a fabulous combination of sweet and spicy.
- 3⁄4 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pork and beans
- 19 ounces black beans or 19 ounces kidney beans
- 1 large onion, diced, about 1 1/2 cups
For the sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- water, to add
- Fry sausage, crumbling and breaking it apart as it cooks.
- Drain off any fat and let cool.
- Chop sausage into small bits by hand or in a food processor.
- In a small bowl stir together the sauce ingredients until well combined.
- Place all ingredients into a casserole dish and stir to combine.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours, checking after 1 hour for moisture. (Depending on the amount of sauce in the pork and beans you've used and how finely you've chopped the sausage you may need to add some water.).
- Uncover and bake for an additional 1/2 hour.
- Stir and enjoy!