Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is an easy and tasty dish to take to a pot luck. I am always asked for the recipe. It is an adapted recipe from the Company's Coming cookbook series.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (19 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Spray a medium sized pot with no stick spray.
- Add oil enough to barely cover and add onions- sauté slowly until just soft Place in medium sized casserole.
- Add remaining ingredients- stir to mix.
- Bake uncovered in 350°F oven for 1 1/2 hours or until bubbly, stirring once or twice.
This is a great recipe. I've used Mixed beans, garbanzos, and kidney beans. Also omitted the sugar and used chili sauce instead of Worchestershire. It's a very flexible and tasty dish.
This is an awesome recipe! I doubled the recipe, but used a little less sugar because I think the pineapple adds a lot of sweetness itself. I added a diced green bell pepper and garnished with very thinly bias sliced green onions. By the way, the average diner will not notice the pineapple in the beans. I took them to a large family cookout and not a single person commented on the pineapple!
I have made this recipe for probably 20 years. It is a hit at every barbecue I have made it for. I did cut the sugar to 1/4 cup and covered the casserole for the first hour and then continued to bake for the last 1/2 hour uncovered. Great dish.