Recipe by JT'sMom
I knew these beans had to be over the top, considering the fact that my DH asked for the recipe from a co-worker, who brought them to a potluck. They are! Take the time to use fresh pineapple, that is what takes them over the top. 5/4/08: I made this recipe using crushed pineapple, in juice (one 20-ounce can and one 8-ounce can). The beans were still good, but I think I prefer the fresh to the canned. It seems a lot of the natural sugars and flavor is lost when it is processed; to me, it changed the taste. Maybe I should have used more pineapple??
Top Review by beth
I thought this was a good recipe. I am not a baked bean lover, but did eat a few. My husband thought it was really tasty. My guests were confused by the pineapple and I think they were not loving it.I did use fresh pineapple and can't say if it is different from using canned or not. Also, it makes a ton of beans. I would make this again. Thanks so much! Beth
- 6 (15 ounce) cans vegetarian baked beans, in tomato sauce (do not drain)
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 large onions
- 1⁄2 large fresh pineapple
- salt & pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cut off the top and bottom pieces of the pineapple. Stand upright; using a sharp knife slice off the rough outside peel and remove any eyes. Cut pineapple in half-lengthwise, store one-half for another use. Cut the other piece in half again. Lay each wedge on its side; with your knife at an angle, slice off, and discard the woody core.
- Cut pineapple into small pieces and finely chop. Place into a large (non-metal) mixing bowl and set aside.
- Quarter and thinly slice onions.
- Cut bacon slices into 1/4 inch strips.
- In a large skillet over medium heat; cook onions and bacon together until onions start to brown and caramelize and bacon is tender crisp. Remove from heat.
- Into the bowl of prepared pineapple, add the beans, brown sugar, ketchup, and cooked onions and bacon. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Place mixture into a large baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Stir frequently. (about every 15-20 minutes).