Top Review by Andrew66
I had never made baked beans before and tried this recipe because it was similar to what I remember my grandmother doing -- I added ham chunks to the recipe and substitued HP sauce for the Worchestershire Sauce and they turned out very good -- I had more than doubled the recipe and added twice the amount of molasses -- we just love them -- thanks for the starting point Andrew
- 4 cups dried navy beans
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 1 lb bacon, slivered
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beans until water comes clean, place beans in a large bowl and cover with water let soak for 5 hours keep water.
- preheat oven to 200°F.
- In bottom of casserole dish or roasting pan place slivered bacon and cook until crisp on top of stove.
- Add beans, onion, garlic cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat.
- Combine all other ingredients in separate bowl, mix well then add to baking dish with other mixture.
- Mix all ingredients well, add enough of the saved water to cover, do not throw out remaining water, as beans cook more water may be needed.
- Cook covered for 4 1/2 hours at 200°F, stir occasionally to prevent sticking, add water at these times when needed.