Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is my wife's long-time recipe. It's similar to many others, but the bottom line is that this one tastes a lot better than most.
Top Review by Pismo
I don't normally like baked beans unless they have bacon and taste really good. These didn't disappoint! I doubled the recipe but I think that was a mistake because it made a lot! I was surprised. Thanks!
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans, lightly drained (about)
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Add green pepper, onion, and garlic.
- Cook until soft and drain, reserving 1 Tbsp bacon grease with the onion mixture.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium lidded casserole, mixing thoroughly.
- Place covered casserole in a 350 degree F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 degrees F, and bake for 1 additional hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- If desired, uncover for the last 15 minutes to dry out the beans a little.