Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
- 3 cups dry navy beans
- 1⁄4 lb bacon or 1⁄4 lb ham
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chili sauce or 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Boil beans in 8 cups water for 2 minutes and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain; add fresh water to cover, bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes or until tender Drain, reserving liquid.
- Combine beans with remaining ingredients.
- Bake, covered, at 300 degrees to 3 to 3 1/2 hours or in a crock pot on low for 10 to 12 hours.
- If mixture becomes dry during baking, add some of the reserved liquid to moisten.