Recipe by Dawn's Karma
This was given to me by a friend of mine. Very simple and tastes great! Can skip the salt pork for a vegetarian version.
- 1 lb dried navy beans or 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, diced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beans and pick over.
- Bring beans and 8 cups of water to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour beans and liquid into a bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain beans, reserving 1 cup of liquid.
- Place beans and reserved liquid in Crock Pot.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- cover and cook on low for 12 to 14 hours.
- Stir before serving.