Prep 1 hr
Cook 7 hrs
Baked beans in Maine is an every Saturday night tradition. We have them along with potato salad or cole slaw, and hotdogs of some kind. We always have cornbread or biscuits, too. It is the best supper of the week for us. I have had this every week since I was a little girl--many, many years. I love them as much today as I did when I was little. This recipe uses four kinds of beans, but it can be made with just one kind if you choose and will be as good as if you used four. Until last year, I always did the proper thing and baked them in my brown bean pot in the oven (I have five pots--all sizes). This past year I tried the crockpot and it worked fine. I always make a double batch. You can freeze them. My husband likes beans and toast for breakfast on Sunday morning. It's all tradition, I guess. NOTE: If you are a vegetarian--omit the salt port and put a big chunk of butter in the pot.
- 1⁄2 cup dried baby lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried yellow-eyed peas
- 1⁄2 cup dried kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried white pea beans
- 1⁄2 lb salt pork, back
- 1 medium onion (whole)
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar (packed well)
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- hot water
- Pick over the beans and wash in cold water; rinse.
- Cover with cold water and let soak over night.
- In the morning, put in a pan and cover with water and parboil till the skins crack and roll up when you blow on them (30-35 minutes or so).
- Place onion in the bottom of the bean pot and add the beans saving some of the bean juice to mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix the minced onion, sugar, molasses, salt, dry mustard, and some of the hot bean juice to make about 1 1/2 cups.
- Pour this over the beans and gently mix.
- If you need more juice, add more of the juice from the pan.
- Scrape and slit the salt pork and put on top of the beans.
- Put the cover on the beanpot and bake at 300 degrees for about 7 hours.
- Add water if necessary to keep the beans covered.
Well I have been cooking beans all day, the smell of beans cooking was great, we couldn't wait to dive in. we just got done supper and what great beans, the sauce was nice and thick and plenty of. The flavor was good. I have tried so many others and wasn't happy with, so I was just going to keep trying. Well I have found the right one. This one is a keeper. I cook them in my bean pot in the oven. I did 2 cups of pea beans, I didn't do the minced onions just the whole, and put in all the rest. Very good Thanks
These beans are delious!!!! Thanks for sharing