Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I like this recipe because it is spicy, with bacon. The recipe came out of the daily newspaper
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 (24 ounce) can pork and beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- Combine all ingredients, except cheese; mix gently.
- Place in a greased 2 quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 475°F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce to 375°F for 30 minutes.
- Top with cheese for 15 minutes or more.
This was really good, but too spicy for me! I used mild enchilda sauce for a first try. I used the Jack, but it really didn't need it. It was sweet, spicy and good. DH really enjoyed it! Thanks amber
These are very different to baked beans I have made in the past. I halved the recipe and used turkey bacon, mild chili beans, and mild enchilada sauce. It wasn't specified, but I drained the pork & beans as I like very thick baked beans. I didn't have any pepper jack so used a 4-cheese Mexican blend (and only about 1/4 cup). I enjoyed these for a change of pace, though I don't know if I'll make them again. Thanks for sharing!
We all really enjoyed these baked beans as it was a change from the usual type of baked beans. They turned out perfect and tasted really yummy! Thanks Rose of Sharon....