Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe came from a cookbook I got from the cookbook swap.
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-1 lb bulk hot pork sausage
- 3 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large kettle, combine beans and water. Bring to boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and cover. Let stand for 1 hour. Do not drain.
- Add celery, carrots, bouillion cubes and salt. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- meanwhile , roll sausage pieces into small balls, saute in a large skillet until browned. Remove sausage. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, brown in drippings. Remove chicken.
- Saute onion, add tomato juice and Worcestershire sauce. Drain beans, reserving liquid. Combine all ingredients, except chicken and bean liquid, in a greased 6 quart Dutch oven .
- Top with chicken pieces. Pour 1 1/2 cups reserved bean liquid over casserole, sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.