Recipe by English_Rose
Add any of the following combinations to this recipe or to spice up plain and simple baked beans on toast: 2-3 chopped fresh tomatoes, strips of ham or fried bacon, fried mushrooms, ½ tsp garam masala or curry powder, fresh or dried herbs, 1 tsp English or Dijon mustard, tomato ketchup, sweet chilli sauce.
- 2 slices white bread (thick slices)
- 1 onion, chopped
- olive oil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans baked beans
- Tabasco sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- butter, for spreading
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly toast the bread.
- Fry the onion in a little olive oil until just becoming golden.
- Place the baked beans in a shallow ovenproof dish and stir in the onion.
- For extra flavour and an additional kick to the beans, mix in a few good shakes of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- If these don't tickle your fancy, try some of the suggestions above, or add your own favourite twist.
- Spread the toast with butter and cut each slice into 4 triangles. Place buttered-side up on top of the beans, overlapping each piece until the surface is covered. Scatter over the cheese and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.