The BBQ sauce recipe is from veganmenu.blogspot.whatever as adapted from Slashfood and finally as slightly adapted by me. Serving suggestion: baked tofu, (cheesy) grits and spinach salad. Note: the barbecue sauce is best if prepared 12-48 hours in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, previously frozen, thawed, excess water squeezed out
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 cup tomato paste (I use one 6-ounce can tom paste then add ketchup to make up the difference)
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dark balsamic vinegar
- 1SAUCE: In a large fry pan over medium heat, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- 2Add mustard seeds, salt, parsley and paprika and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3Add remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat and let cool, then puree in blender until smooth.
- 5Use immediately, or store in refrigerator for up to a week.
- 6Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 7TOFU: Cut the tofu into 3/4" thick slices.
- 8Dip the slices in the BBQ sauce to coat.
- 9Arrange the tofu slices in single layer in oiled casserole dish.
- 10Bake for about 25 minutes or until sauce has baked into the tofu.
- 11Transfer to serving platter and garnish with green onions or fresh chives.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked BBQ Tofu (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.3
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 686.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 27.7 g
- Protein 12.8 g