Recipe by COOKGIRl
The BBQ sauce recipe is from veganmenu.blogspot.whatever as adapted from Slashfood and finally as slightly adapted by me. Serving suggestion: baked tofu, (cheesy) grits and spinach salad. Note: the barbecue sauce is best if prepared 12-48 hours in advance.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, previously frozen, thawed, excess water squeezed out
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 cup tomato paste (I use one 6-ounce can tom paste then add ketchup to make up the difference)
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup dark balsamic vinegar
- green onions or fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- SAUCE: In a large fry pan over medium heat, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add mustard seeds, salt, parsley and paprika and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool, then puree in blender until smooth.
- Use immediately, or store in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- TOFU: Cut the tofu into 3/4" thick slices.
- Dip the slices in the BBQ sauce to coat.
- Arrange the tofu slices in single layer in oiled casserole dish.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until sauce has baked into the tofu.
- Transfer to serving platter and garnish with green onions or fresh chives.