Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
The BBQ sauce recipe is from veganmenu.blogspot.whatever as adapted from Slashfood and finally as slightly adapted by me. Serving suggestion: baked tofu, (cheesy) grits and spinach salad. Note: the barbecue sauce is best if prepared 12-48 hours in advance.
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, previously frozen, thawed, excess water squeezed out
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 cup tomato paste (I use one 6-ounce can tom paste then add ketchup to make up the difference)
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup dark balsamic vinegar
- green onions or fresh chives
- SAUCE: In a large fry pan over medium heat, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add mustard seeds, salt, parsley and paprika and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool, then puree in blender until smooth.
- Use immediately, or store in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- TOFU: Cut the tofu into 3/4" thick slices.
- Dip the slices in the BBQ sauce to coat.
- Arrange the tofu slices in single layer in oiled casserole dish.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until sauce has baked into the tofu.
- Transfer to serving platter and garnish with green onions or fresh chives.