Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 1⁄2 cups chopped onions (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups sliced button mushrooms (about 9 ounces)
- 3 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- fresh thyme sprig (optional)
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and sugar; cover and cook 25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms; cook 10 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently. Add barley; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat. Stir in soy sauce, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Pour broth over barley mixture; cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until barley is tender.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
rather bland. need to work on spices and seasonings. I stirred in some Creamy Garlic Sauce and then kids ate it.