Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
From Weight Watchers Versatile Vegetarian.
Make and share this Baked Barley With Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a small bowl, soak the tomatoes in warm water until pliable, about 10 minutes.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil.
- Add the carrots and shallots; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and thyme; cook, stirring as needed, until wilted, 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Stir in the broth, barley, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bake, covered with foil, until the liquid is absorbed, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake, uncovered, until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- SERVING PROVIDES: 2 Breads, 2 Fruit/Vegetables, 1 Protein/Milk, 1 Fat.
- PER SERVING: 302 Calories, 6 g Total Fat, 3 g Saturated Fat, 12 mg Cholesterol, 515 mg Sodium, 50 g Total Carbohydrate, 9 g Dietary Fiber, 13 g Protein, 168 mg Calcium; 5 points.
Really good and filling! I was out of mozzarella so I I used shredded swiss and would use it again. I ended up baking mine for an hour and twenty mins. before topping with cheese. What an economical way to eat healthy, thanks for posting the recipe.
I'm so happy that I found this recipe. I love barley but for some reason way under use it eben yhough I always keep it on hand. I did need to add a little more broth but that isn't uncommon, I ofyen need to add extra liquid to grain's and flours where I live. The recipe was cut in half and I used several cremini's for the portabella as I had them (same mushroom just different sizes). It came out delicious and I used it as my main last evening along with green leaf, tomato and Havarti salad. Thanks so much Vic. :D