Recipe by dicentra
This is from TOH magazine. I haven’t made these yet, but I am typing it up for ZWT II. 8 servings.
Top Review by Malriah
The custard was very, very good. The barley texture takes some getting used to but overall the pudding as a whole is quite tasty. I am going to attempt to sub rice for barley just to see how it comes out. When I do, I will update my review.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add milk; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until barley is almost tender, stirring frequently.
- In a bowl, whisk the cream, sugar, eggs and vanilla; gradually stir into the barley mixture.
- Spoon into eight greased 6 ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with raisins and cinnamon. Place custard cups in baking pans. Fill pan with one inch of boiling water.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.