Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Found on the Whole Foods Website.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 large purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 12 cups kale, shredded (not packed)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about five minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in barley and cook one minute, stirring to coat.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add the kale, stirring for 5 to 7 minutes or until kale begins to shrink. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to oven.
- Bake 45 minutes or until barley is tender and most of the water is absorbed. Adjust seasonings to taste and stir in the almonds.
The Kale took on a bitter taste in this dish.