Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
You could just cook the meatballs in the sauce although you will experience grease in the sauce, it is better to pre-cook them first --- please adjust the amount of brown sugar, you might want to start with only 1/2 cup and add in more to taste --- this is *very* good!
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke seasoning
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup milk or 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (use the milk chili powder used for making chili)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- For the meatballs; in a bowl mix all ingredients together until well blended (add in more breadcrumbs or oats if the mixture is too soft).
- Shape into about 1-1/2-inch balls.
- Place meatballs into baking pan.
- Bake meatballs for about 20 minutes, then drain all fat from pan.
- For the sauce; in a bowl combine ketchup, garlic, brown sugar, chopped onion and liquid smoke; mix to combine.
- Pour sauce over meatballs then toss to coat meatballs with sauce.
- Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes.
Sorry, this was a horrible greasy mess. I used 90% lean ground beef...I was actually talked into the recipe by a friend who thought it would be good for a potluck, i decided not to take and dumped it in the garbage, what a disappointment
Awesome! These meatballs are easy to make and FULL of flavor. Make them larger for an entree or small for an appetizer or parties.
These are even better than they sound, talk about hitting the spot! I had to make a couple changes - no such thing as liquid smoke here. I didn't have enough ketchup so I substituted with plain tomato puree which gave the sauce a deep, rich flavour. Half a cup of sugar was perfect. The meatballs had a great texture! I used 1 lb meat and my hubby and I ate it all in 2 meals. Full of flavours and very satisfying!