Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I needed to use a pound of ground beef I had in the fridge and decided to make some cocktail meatballs using what I had in the fridge. These turned out great! Tangy meatballs with horseradish and sweet barbecue sauce!
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic (or more if you love garlic!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce (I use KC Masterpiece)
- Combine the first eleven ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Definitely use your hands!
- Roll small pieces of hamburger mixture into small balls about the diameter of quarters.
- Place on a large baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Drain any grease that may have formed and place meatballs in a crock pot.
- Cover with the barbecue sauce and cook on low heat for approximately one hour.
5 star all the way - I had these instead of my regular Sat. night hamburger and they are GOOD.The only changes I made were: I used lean minced beef mixed half & half with Buffalo, cut the crumbs to 1/2 cup and cut the liquid smoke back to 1/2 tsp and may cut that back a bit more next time. These would be great as patties too for burgers simmered in the BBQ sauce in a fry pan Thanks DeniseH
Excellent meatball recipe. These were quite easy to make, and the sauce left them with a nice glaze. I used them to make meatball sandwiches...very good. Next time I'm gonna add more tabasco, and make a pinch or two of cayenne to give that sweet-hot flavor. Thanks for posting this recipe Denise.
I minced the onions instead of chopping, and they still didn't soften - so we had meatballs with somewhat crunchy onions. Maybe next time I'll use onion powder. I needed to turn the Crock Pot to high; after nearly an hour the meatballs were only warm. The taste was good, but the Liquid Smoke was strong (and, as suggested, I reduced it). Might tweak this one and try it again.