Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love banana's but can't stand to eat them when they're over-ripe so I always end up binning some. In a bid to cut down on wastage I now eat this delicious baked (or you could BBQ it) banana combo for my breakfast. I like it so much now that it's gone from being a recipe I use to get rid of my over-ripe banana's to being my standard week-day breakfast! It's so versatile... great on it's own, over porridge or weetabix, on toast, with yogurt, or over ice cream... Mmmmmmm!
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c (or get your BBQ nice and ready if you're BBQing).
- Either slice the banana up into bite-sized pieces or cut it in half lengthways if you're looking for a smarter presentation or are having an ice cream banana split.
- Place the banana on an over-sized square of tin foil and sprinkle with cinnamon (to taste).
- Drizzle 2tsp of honey evenly over the banana and gather up the corners of the foil to create a little banana parcel.
- Place the parcel in the oven (or on the barbie) and bake for approximately 15mins.
- NB. Baking time depends on how you prefer your bananas - the more you bake, the more soft and gooey they get and the more the honey caramelises onto them. Personally I don't like mine too over-baked as I prefer the banana to still be a bit hard and the honey to be liquid.
I think I'm addicted to this! I've made it twice in the past two days - once I made it with honey and cinnamon and served it with a little whipped cream and then I made it again with cinnamon and dulce de leche (which is like caramel for anyone not lucky enough to have experienced it!) and again with whipped cream. I think I made some chopped nuts next time too. I baked it at 400F for 15 minutes and it came out perfect! Its very filling and satisfies any sweet cravings you may have while still being healthy - thanks for posting!
I loved this BUT my banana's turned black during cooking. What do you think could have caused this? Not that it bothered ME but I wouldn't serve it that way to family or friends. Ripeness of bananas?
Mine came out pretty good. Flavor was ok but bananas were mush.