Recipe by glutenfreekg
Official Contest Entry: Simply Potatoes 5Fix. Crispy covering on the outside with a smooth and creamy rich macaroni and cheese center that will take you back to your childhood macaroni and cheese days! These tastes baked bites are a sure way to please children and adults alike!
- 2 cups Wondra Flour
- 3 beaten eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup crumbled good quality bacon
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Macaroni & Cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. To assemble, with the macaroni slightly warmed to a little higher than room temperature, mix in the crumbled bacon to the macaroni and cheese side dish. Then scoop a heaping tablespoon of macaroni and roll into a tightly packed ball. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Once all the macaroni has been rolled, place in freezer for 20 minutes to firm up.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place a baking rack on a baking sheet and coat the rack with non-stick cooking spray. Place flour and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Place eggs and the yolks in a second bowl and beat them until uniform in color, and put the panko breadcrumbs in a third bowl. Dip macaroni balls in the flour, shaking off excess flour, then dip into eggs and then the panko mixture, patting crumbs to adhere. Place on baking rack and bake 15 minutes until golden brown. If desired, serve with marinara sauce for dipping. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 45-40 macaroni and cheese balls depending on how big you make them.