Recipe by CountryLady
I love "can-do-ahead" dishes. This one is ideal for a buffet or a family celebration.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
I made this for our Canadian thanksgiving! Our guests loved it and definitely will make this again. (sorry I did not review this earlier, I just recently signed on to Recipezaar but, have used many of the recipes prior to that time!!)
- 2 lbs baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon horseradish, squeezed dry
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- COOK CARROTS: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add carrots& boil 8- 10 minutes or until cooked but still crisp.
- Drain well& spread in a layer in a buttered 7 x 11 inch baking dish.
- PREPARE SAUCE: Melt butter in a medium size pot over medium heat.
- Add onion& saute for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in flour& cook for a minute, stirring constsntly.
- Remove pot from heat& gradually stir in stock.
- Return to medium heat& stir until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice& mustard.
- Strain through a fine sieve& pour over carrots.
- TOPPING: Combine all ingredients& scatter evenly over carrots.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 20 minutes or until sauce bubbles& topping is crisp& brown.
- OR cover& refrigerate until needed.
- Bake cold gratin for 35- 40 minutes.