Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A new twist on a delicious ingredient,as well as a started-I find this a great energy packed, filling lunch. A tasty and impressive starter! Introduced to me back in the 80's and often a useful "alternative dinner vegetable dish".
- 4 ripe avocados
- 300 g cheese (both Cheddar and Edam are great)
- 300 g of dry cured bacon
- 2 large tomatoes
- black pepper
- Slice each avocado into half,and remove the stone. Scrape the flesh into a bowl leaving the half-cases intact.
- Mash the avocado flesh until a few lumps remain.
- Dice and gently fry the bacon until crispy, then add to the mixture with two thirds of the cheese, with pepper to taste.
- Mix well and fill the avocado cases with the cheese,avocado and bacon mixture.
- Place on top the remainder of the cheese thinly on top of the avocados.
- Thinly slice the tomatoes; place a slice on top of each avocado half, on top of the cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven on gas mark 6 for 30 minutes.
- Serve with green salad,.