Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Excellent change for those who are tired of the old steamed artichokes with mayo. These are delicious alone with no dip, but, if you must, I find that butter melted with a little lemon zest and juice is a better compliment than the old heavy mayo standby. I know the "servings" says for 4, but, I can eat a whole one by myself!!!!
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the olive oil, basil, minced garlic, lemon zest and juice, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper in a bowl. Mix until it becomes a paste.
- With kitchen scissors, trim all the sharp ends off of each leaf. Wash the artichoke well in cool water. Slice down the center to form two halves.
- Clean out all the fuzzy hairs and smaller leaves with a spoon then immediately rub all the cut areas with the zested and juiced lemon.
- Coat the baking dish with olive oil.
- Rub the paste all over the artichoke halves and inside the leaves.
- Place each artichoke half top side down in a baking dish.
- Pour the stock in the dish and cover with a lid or tin foil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Be sure to let cool for a few minutes before digging in!