Recipe by CABarbieQue
Excellent change for those who are tired of the old steamed artichokes with mayo. These are delicious alone with no dip, but, if you must, I find that butter melted with a little lemon zest and juice is a better compliment than the old heavy mayo standby. I know the "servings" says for 4, but, I can eat a whole one by myself!!!!
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the olive oil, basil, minced garlic, lemon zest and juice, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper in a bowl. Mix until it becomes a paste.
- With kitchen scissors, trim all the sharp ends off of each leaf. Wash the artichoke well in cool water. Slice down the center to form two halves.
- Clean out all the fuzzy hairs and smaller leaves with a spoon then immediately rub all the cut areas with the zested and juiced lemon.
- Coat the baking dish with olive oil.
- Rub the paste all over the artichoke halves and inside the leaves.
- Place each artichoke half top side down in a baking dish.
- Pour the stock in the dish and cover with a lid or tin foil.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Be sure to let cool for a few minutes before digging in!