Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Source: "Let My People Eat! Passover Seders Made Simple A Complete Guide to the Passover Seder for Everyone: Jewish and Non-Jewish by Zell Schulman Macmillan USA 1998
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 whole breasts)
- 1 3⁄4 ounces ground soup nuts (1 box Mandlen)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 large eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (no substitutes)
- 8 ounces apricot preserves
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
- 2 cups apricot-peach Chinese duck sauce (La Choy's Sweet & Sour Sauce)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves (kosher for Passover)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pineapple ring (to garnish)
- If the chicken is frozen, thaw it overnight in your refrigerator.
- Rinse and clean the parts with cold water and dry well with paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half.
- Combine the soup nut crumbs, ginger, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl with the lemon juice and pour into a pie plate.
- Dip each chicken part in the egg mixture, then in the crumb mixture.
- Arrange in a single layer in a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a 1-quart microwave-safe bowl, combine the preserves, wine, and margarine; microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Or place in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the chicken breasts and bake for 1 hour or until the chicken is crisp.
- Serve with the Sweet and Sour Sauce.
- SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE:.
- This recipe begins with a 19-ounce jar of duck sauce, which comes in several flavors.
- Pour over the baked chicken or pass at the table.
- Place all the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat.
- Refrigerate and warm before serving.